Friday, September 12, 2014

Things to do before I die....

Today I woke up with a lot on my mind. One of my cousins passed away tragically this week of pancreatic cancer and it has really hit me hard. 

These questions come to mind along with so many others... He led a full life and loved this around him. In contemplating my own life I had a few questions......
Why do we take so much of life for granted?
How can I be a more intentional wife and mother, making each day count?
How can I make what I do on earth leave a lasting Legacy for those I leave behind?

Why do we take so much of life for granted? A smile, a hug, an "I love you" a snapshot, they all mean so much. I want to drink in every drop like a sweet nectar. I want to stop in the middle of the mundane and routine tasks of everyday life and look deeply into my husbands eyes and remind him how incredible I think he is! 


I want to hold my sons' hands at dinner and ask for a hug and tell him he's 'my date'. I want to braid my daughters' hair and tell them I am so proud of them. All of that. And more!



This is Aiden as Captain America. Yup...

How can I be a more intentional wife and mother, and make each day count? I can plan, plan, plan ahead. And at the same time, I can be okay when the unexpected happens, because it most definitely will. I can make time for FUN, and lighten UP! I can take more time for ME, and more scheduled one-on-one alone time for each of my six children. They all matter. And this age will be gone in a blink! And most of all I can schedule time alone with my husband and be intentional about studying the Bible with him and enjoying our quiet moments together as a couple, because our marriage and our family are definitely worth the effort.



How can I make what I do on earth leave a lasting Legacy for those I leave behind?
I can do the aforementioned items and "suck the marrow out of life" a la Robert Herrick / Robin Williams. I can be a better friend. I can love more deeply. And, most importantly, I can mirror Christ to those around me. I believe in the Christ who hung out with sinners and spent time with the bad guys and prayed for His enemies.


 I hope that's the legacy I leave behind. Love. Because in the business of the every day, which is filled with juice boxes, carpool and soccer games, I just want people to know how loved they are. 

So sit there and ponder this friends: all that matters really, is love.

Goodnight friends,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment